Friday, October 4, 2013

A premature birth nightmare.

    At 30 weeks gestation, I believe it was June 30th.. I know it was a Saturday.. I went to work like any other day. However, I started to get a weird cramp that didn't subside. I rested, drank a lot of water, but nothing helped. I got of work at 3pm, went home and I was feeling like me again. We had decided to go out for dinner that night and when I was in the restroom I noticed I was bleeding. Attempting not to panic, I called my drs office who said I was find and I just needed to do kick counts. But as the nurse continued to ask questions she had deduced I had lost my mucous plug. So to labor and delivery we went!

    We were placed into triage around 6pm and immediately hooked up to a TOCO monitor and a fetal monitor. Jason was moving beautifully and hr was great! However I was contracting every 3 minutes.. not unusual for me as I was diagnosed previously with an "irritable uterus". My cervix was promptly check which revealed I was effaced to about 20% and dilated 1cm. I was given medication and iv fluids to stop contractions. The conservative measurements failed.

    It was like everything was moving very slow yet fast at the same time. A nurse came to admit me and I was taken to a full blown labor and delivery room. Scared as hell, my husband and I sat quietly as a whirlwind grew around us. Medications were being hung, I was signing consent forms for delivery, anesthesia came in to ask about and epidural.. I was still attempting to wrap mind around delivering at 30w0d.

    I contracted well into the night but thankfully my cervix hadn't changed anymore. Every hour past the administration of steroids for my baby's lungs was a huge goal.

    The next morning I was moved to the antepartum floor. We stayed in the hospital for 4 days. I had learned all about NICU'S and premature babies. I also learned my a1C was down to 5.6%.

    I was put on total bed rest until delivery. No work. No cleaning house. No nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment