Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A woman and her situation

    Today we went to the RE's for a semen analysis.  As I sat patiently in the waiting room I glanced around at everyone that was there.  It still gets me that there are other people in our area going through the same thing that we are. As there are no support groups (or none that I have found) in my state, it always seems like we are alone down here in the South.

     I could feel all of the women staring at me... I can only imagine what they are thinking like ,"what is she doing here, she is too young to be here". I know it is most likely my insecurities that fill my mind with those accusations. I am pretty sure we are the youngest couple that is currently undergoing treatment and I feel like I have to defend myself for it.  I am hoping one day I will not care about what anyone thinks of me or our situation. 

     On another note I am getting tired of hearing people's ignorant comments and suggestions.  I truly do appreciate when people offer up advice and it is sweet when someone says something to try and make me feel better. However, you think it would be common sense to keep your words positive.

     I do understand that this is a "different" situation for everyone involved and I don't want anyone to feel pressured that they have to say something to me about this.

     Take this for example, the other day someone that I am friends with came straight up to me and said ," just face it, you are really messed up and you are not ever going to get pregnant.  You might as well go ahead and start the adoption process since it takes a year.". WHO SAYS THAT??  I felt this was particularly rude and uncalled for.  If you feel like you need to say something but can't quite find the words something like ,"I am thinking about you" or even just, "how are you doing with everything".  Please do not ever say something to me that you don't know about... My doctor who is top notch has the highest confidence in our case so I don't think you have the right to tell me I will never get pregnant.  We will not lose hope, don't encourage us to give up.

    In case anyone is wondering here is our plan of action.  Fertility treatment is not something that happens quickly... it is a process.  First, we need to wait for all of our tests to result. The doctor thinks I have something called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS.  PCOS causes a ton of things, among those is insulin resistance. Therefore, I have to do a glucose tolerance test to see how fast my body can metabolize it. We are pretty sure he is going to put me on something called Metformin which is an insulin sensitizer. For some people this medication can reverse effects within a few doses, with others it can take months. We have to wait for the results of the semen analysis. If there is a low sperm count, we will have to do Intrauterine Insemination or IUI or Invitro Fertilization or IVF.  As most of you know I had one of my fallopian tubes removed... I will undergo a procedure called hystosteriosalphingogram or HSG. This will determine if my other tube is open. If it is I will start a medication called Clomid which forces your body to ovulate. You can only use this medication a max of 6 months or else your chances of ovarian cancer go up. If it is closed we have to go straight to IVF.

Once we have all of this information we will go through the treatments required for each situation for most likely years (hopefully it will not take that long, but for a lot of people, it does). Then surrogacy then adoption. 

    Yes, we know there a lot of children out there with no parents that need love. We are not against adoption, after all, my husband is adopted!  However, we would like to try to have our own child.

  There are a lot of people out there who are against us for doing this.  Quite frankly, we choose to ignore you.  As a couple we have gone through many things together in the past four years and they have only made us stronger. We love each other so much, words cannot sum it up. We are doing this together, hand in hand.

    Thank you to everyone out there who has been sweet and supportive, you will never know what it means to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment